Moray & Agnew Intranet

Moray & Agnew is an insurance legal firm with over 500 staff. They use their intranet to access over 2500 precedent documents and gain information on internal policies and procedures. They had been using a 10 year old content management system for their intranet and it needed to be migrated to Sharepoint 2013.

The Basics

The Challenge

Staff at Moray & Agnew found it hard to find important information on the current intranet, as the navigation was complex and a lot of information was outdated. Categorising 2500 precedents was also limited to a folder structure as they were using a 10 year old content management system.

The Solution

Migrate the current intranet to SharePoint 2013 while revising content, the information architecture, navigation and taxonomy of the 2500 precedent documents.

My Role

I was in charge of planning, migrating and developing the new intranet using SharePoint 2013.

Tools Used

Workshop facilitation
SharePoint 2013
HTML
CSS
Javascript
Photshop
SharePoint Analytics

Research Methods

I used the following methods to gather insights as to why it was hard to find content on the intranet, and what content was most important to be communicated to the firm.

1 Survey

I created one survey that was sent out to all 500 staff. 60 staff responded. In the survey I used a combination of open and closed ended questions. Most importantly I asked what information was most important to find, what was most difficult to find and easiest to find.

Why I chose this method

I chose this method of research as it was a quick way to gain quantitative data on users pain points and gains with the current intranet as I could easily send it out to all staff in the firm. It was also valuable in influencing the site hierarchy, navigation and information architecture of the new intranet as it gave me insights from staff at all levels in the firm as to what was most important for them to find and what should be most prominent in the site navigation.

Workshop Facilitation

I held meetings and workshops with all key stakeholders of the new intranet. This included managers from Accounts, People and Development and Marketing. I also spoke to subject matter experts from the precedent team and information technology. During these meetings I gathered information as to what was the most important information to be communicated to the firm, and what challenges they were facing in doing this.

Why I chose this method

I chose this method of research to gain knowledge on what was important to the firm and each department, what were the corporate style guides and colours, and what challenges were being faced in managing content with the current intranet. It was also advantages and time efficient to gain knowledge from these stakeholders and subject matter experts as I was working in close proximity to them.

Research Insights

From the above research I began to see trends and gained the following insights.

MoSCoW Analysis

Based on time constraints, technological constraints, user needs and the firms needs I developed a Must have, should have, could have and won’t have needs analysis.

Features User Needs Firms Needs
Must Have Staff directory: search by name, user initials and extension, secretary
Calendar of Events
News announcements
Local office floor plans and key contacts
Up to date procedures and forms
Ability to categorise & find precedents
Should Have Staff directory thumbnail photos  
Minimal scroll on the home page  
Full text searching on documents  
Client information and rates  
Could Have Social Page  
Classifieds  
Won’t Have Staff directory click and call    

Information Architecture

The information architecture was a crucial component to the intranet as it was content rich. based on the research insights above and client feedback the following site structure and navigation was developed.

First Release and Iterations

The new intranet was released after 6 months of research and development. The intranet was released with the old intranet still accessible at the same time. A feedback form was available on the new intranet home page.

Further iterations on the intranet were made during my time at Moray and Agnew based on direct verbal feedback, emails and feedback forms. I also used SharePoint’s analytics to see what users were still clicking on the link to the old intranet. I contacted these users to see why they were still going to the old intranet.

the following are screens of the final intranet as it was before I left with annotations of changes that were made since the first release

Key Learnings

  • It would have been beneficial to create a low fidelity prototype and perform usability testing before the first release of the intranet. This would have saved a lot of time and effort developing.
  • A card sort for the site navigation and precedent taxonomy would have been a highly useful tool to get more insight on how lawyers would categorise documents rather than the precedent team.
Share Our Work